Are you persistent enough or are you giving up at the first sign of something not going your way?
In two separate occasions I have been told to read chapter 9 called Persistence: The Sustained Effort Necessary To Induce Faith from Napoleon Hills book Think And Grow Rich.
The first time I was told to read it every day, TWICE a day for 30 days. The second time I did a Facebook Live Every day for 30 days based on that chapter alone. Clearly these two completely unrelated persons thought I needed it.
So what is so important about persistence? Well if you give up you wont reach your goals and dreams right? Very simple!
To quote from the chapter: "The majority of people are ready to throw their aims and purposes overboard, and give up at the first sign of opposition or misfortune. A few carry on DESPITE all opposition, until they attain their goal"
To be persistent and keep going despite what happens or who has an opinion is essential to succeed. Keep your goal in mind at all times and know you will reach it. You might have to adjust the methods because everything wont work but don't give up on your goal if something don't work.
Lack of persistence is actually one of the biggest causes of failure.
When asked how it felt to have failed 10.000 times when inventing the light-bulb Thomas Edison answered:
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
What would have happened if he gave up at the first attempt? Well, we probably would have a light-bulb anyway by now because someone else would have done it and got the credit but Edison wouldn't have reached his goal right?
The intensity of your Desire
To achieve something you always need desire. You need to go after things you really want to be truly successful, weak desires bring weak results. If you aren't persistent enough maybe you don't desire what you are going after and like what you are doing?
Napoleon Hill says: "Fortunes gravitate to men whose minds have been prepared to "attract" them just as surely as water gravitates to the ocean." You need to set your mind up for success, you need to know you will reach your goal and persist until you are there.
"There is no substitute for persistence!" You need to make persistence into a habit. The ones that have made a Habit out of it will always succeed no matter how many times they are defeated along the way.
No one will ever enjoy great achievement without failing first, you need to learn to move forward.
Napoleon Hill tells stories about people that have succeeded and one story is about Kate Smith. She sang for years without getting paid, before any microphone she could get. She never gave up and a couple of years later she could name her salary herself, she made far more in one week than most people make in a year.
Thousands of singers who excel Kate Smith aren't succeeding because they give up to soon!
(If you've never heard of Kate Smith, she was a Broadway singer and the book is written in the 1930s, so she is probably not famous any more...)
The good news is that persistence is a state of mind so you can develop it if you are a quitter!
Persistence is based upon for example:
- Definiteness of purpose - knowing what you want is the firsts and perhaps the most important step towards developing persistence. A strong motive gets you over many road-blocks.
- Desire - it is easier to acquire and maintain persistence if you are going after what you desire
- Self-reliance - if you believe (KNOW) that you can carry out your plan that encourages you to follow the plan through with persistence.
- Definiteness of plans - organized plans encourages persistence.
- Accurate knowledge - if you are guessing rather than knowing that your plans will work it weakens persistence.
- Co-operation - sympathy, understanding and cooperation with others develop persistence
- Will-power - the habit of concentrating your thoughts upon the building of plans for attaining your purpose leads to persistence
- Habit - persistence is a direct result of habit. If you are doing stuff enough so they become a habit they will be less difficult you may overcome fear and you'll definitely stop procrastinating.
Look at yourself and see what you are missing, maybe a small change is all that is needed for you to never give up again!
So set a big GOAL as I talked about in this article and don't give up until you have reached it!